Location: Los Angeles, CA
A private real estate investment company with a 50-year tradition of successfully acquiring and operating conventional multi-family and commercial properties. The company is committed to providing its investors with superior risk adjusted returns in the form of distributable cash flow, optimizing the operating performance of its assets, and realizing appreciation over time, all the while remaining steadfast in its adherence to the unwavering ethical principles of its Founders.
Ever-growing, the Company seeks a Controller to be based in our Los Angeles office. The company is growing rapidly and candidates should fit their creative, collaborative and forward thinking culture.This position will report to the President & CEO of the Company.The Controller will manage all aspects of financial reporting and analysis related to the management of portfolio properties. The ideal candidate will preferably have a CPA with experience in financial reporting, financial operations and will carry a significant understand of the management of multi-family properties.
- Prepare presentations, financial reports and cash flow and operation analysis of current portfolio.
- Ensure internal expense controls are adequately in place.
- Responsible for managing payroll and company benefits plans, and other administrative tasks at the corporate level.
- Responsible for timely filing of taxes and insurance and property tax filings.
- Coordinate with third party accounting team, tax consultants and outside auditors.
- Produce and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and financial statements for Senior Management, Investors and Lenders.
- Monitor debt agreements and ensure compliance with lending agreements.
- Lead, manage and perform all aspects of accounting (AR/AP, Bank Recs, etc)
- Cash management including monthly cash flow projections.
- Produce yearly budget/cash flow projection and perform monthly budget to actual.
- Interact with external parties to include capital partners, investors, third party consultants, brokers, and prospective buyers and sellers.
- Responsible for approving purchase orders and disbursing vendor payments as directed by the General Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets, business plans and forecasting.
- Lead the development and implementation of action plans to eliminate budget variances.
- Effectively communicate, follow, and enforce the Company’s established policies and procedures by monitoring and auditing compliance, reviewing reports and data related to operational processes.Correct all violations or infractions and implement measures and tools to prevent deficiencies.
- Negotiate the best price and terms with contractors, vendors and lenders on behalf of the company.
- Ensure the books, records, general ledger, reports and financial statements for all business units are 100% accurate
- Responsible for bad debt recovery.
Qualifications, Skills & Background:
- 5+ years of experience working in the real estate industry as an accountant, assistant controller or financial manager (real estate experience a plus).
- Bachelors Degree required.
- CPA Preferred.
- A well-organized individual who is disciplined in the oversight of details while maintaining the big picture perspective.
- Self-starter comfortable working within an entrepreneurial environment, multi-tasking and assuming a strong sense of ownership over all accounting-related matters.
- Proven ability to produce accurate, high quality work while meeting established deadlines.
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Excel and proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Advanced level proficiency with Yardi.
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Candidate must be an intellectually curious, resourceful and proactive team player.