Location: Santa Monica, CA
Growing start up in the Consumer Goods and Technology sector is seeking a new VP Controller to add to its team. This is a mission driven company based on the WestSide of Los Angeles. This is a rare and unique role at the top of the Accounting team to help a company drive growth, strategic initiatives and improve processes. The ideal candidate MUST have a strong Consumer Subscription Business Model Background, Financing background (M&A deals, Finding and evaluating Financing Partners and terms, and FP&A) and ideally should also be strong on the GL Accounting side having earned a CPA. You are a technically versed, focused, level-headed person that is interested in an immersed operating role. You will be leading a growing team and reporting directly to the CEO. You will help reinforce our culture of autonomy AND accountability which is the foundation of our corporate culture. Ideally, you have an MBA and/or accounting degree along with at least 10 years of relevant work experience. High Finance (investment banking, capital markets, Banking/ financial services company, at a fintech company or one of the Big 4) experience is certainly a top preference. As we break new ground, you will have to interpret US GAAP and define our accounting policies and procedures. We are specifically seeking to hire someone that can bring diversity to our management team.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish and manage the companies’ financial reporting policies and procedures
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Work with the executive team on complex M&A transactions and financing reviews.
- Lead and support the month-end and year-end close process
- Coordinate the preparation of lender, investor and regulatory reporting
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Prepare interpretive analysis of financial statements
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Prepare and analyze cash flow reports and forecasts
- You’ll be responsible for implementing the systems and protocols to maintain good cost controls, healthy budgeting and oversee disciplined AR/AP management.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Map and track projected operational metrics and fundraising expectations
- Create framework to measure and monitor performance against operational metrics
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all level
What You’ll Need:
- CPA with 10+ years of experience in accounting, financial and analytical roles.
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting or Finance a must;
- MBA preferred
- Experience working in a financial services company, startup, SaaS company or software businesses
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic and hyper growth company
- Experience leading an accounting group through an IPO process and S-1 registration
- Hands on experience in public company SEC reporting.
- Solid revenue recognition and fixed asset accounting technical skills
- Exceptional negotiation and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data including presentations to senior management
- Demonstrated success in process improvement projects and systems integrations
- Excellent team building and leadership skills
- Experience working with external auditors
- Strong attention to detail