Large food production company is seeking an Assist Controller. A key member of the Finance department, this position will be responsible for several aspects of the accounting processes as well as accounts payable and receivables.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the mission, values and vision of the company.
- Broad understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), both in rule and in practical applications.
- Manage Senior and Staff Accountants with regard to daily tasks (such as bank and balance sheet reconciliations), month-end close, annual audit and related management reporting, issue resolution and escalation.
- Preparation of month-end reporting book pages, providing valuable information to management and other internal users. Continual improvement and enhancement of assigned pages and familiarity with all aspects of the book which is prepared by the department. Review monthly financials to ensure accuracy prior to publishing.
- Manage month-end close process including, but not limited to; preparation and review of journal entries, reconciliation of various balance sheet accounts including analyzing postings to the account, assessing for reasonableness and appropriateness, and recording adjustments as necessary; completion of bank reconciliations monthly for all Company-wide accounts. Investigation and resolution of unreconciled differences, as applicable.
- Lead and oversee the annual year-end financial statement audit including coordinating interim and final fieldwork, answering auditor questions, helping prepare PBC schedules, financial statements, etc.
- Assist Controller and CFO relative to identifying/resolving issues within the AP/AR, and Sales Operation departments.
- Administrator over the Companyâ€™s T&E Policy and Concur Expense reporting system.
- Review out of compliance expense reports and resolve out of compliance reports where necessary.
- Identify technical accounting transactions throughout the course of the fiscal year and apply GAAP over such transactions.
- Assist in other ad-hoc projects assigned from the Controller and/or CFO.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Possess a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Possess excellent organizational, planning and overall time management skills. Must be able to work on a variety of project simultaneously and prioritize work.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with colleagues and employees within other departments to facilitate strong working relationships and a cooperative environment within the organization.
- Strong communication skills. Duties often include interaction with other employees within the organization and with external vendors to complete tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Strong ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form.
- Accountable and dependable. Consistent in attendance and timeliness. Must be able to work a degree of overtime as needed to keep up with workload and assigned responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university, Accounting or Business preferred.
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience within related fields preferred.
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 preferred.
- CPA certificate strongly preferred.
Compensation for this role includes a base salary of up to $150k + bonus and excellent benefits package.